Thursday 23 June 2011

Day 10, Cambuslang to Callander

Blog Day 10

Cambuslang to Callander

I know, I know, I'm starting to sound like a stuck record, but it really did rain all last night and was clear this morning. After another full fry (I'm really going to have to detox when this is over!) I was packed and ready to leave by 08:15.

I wended my way back to NCN74 and followed the march of the giant hogweed (Genesis, 1975?) all the way along the River Clyde Walkway (see picture). This was a mixture of quite good to brilliant tarmac that had me at Glasgow Green before I knew it (apart from a slightly confused diversion around some of the Commonwealth Games redevelopment work).

From here I followed the NCN7 all the way to, well, Callander actually. Again, the track was traffic free through town and along the canal all the way to Bowling where I had a tea stop. It was then largely traffic free following the river to Balloch. From Balloch it reverted to country lanes and track (where I stopped to eat yesterday's 2nd sandwich pack) to Aberfoyle where I had another tea break in the sun.

Aberfoyle was the originally planned stop point for day 10, but because: a) I'd banked extra miles yesterday; b) weather today has been fantastic - cloudy blue skies with plenty sun and light winds to aid progress and; c) the Aberfoyle to Callander stretch is a tough, rough, steep offroad section that I'd rather do at the end of today than the start of tomorrow, I was keen to push on a bit.

I spoke to Anne at lunchtime and she duly found me an excellent farmhouse B&B on the outskirts of Callander at which I arrived around 17:45

It's been a great day cycling and I'm feeling good. No aches and pains, legs feel strong, and even my 'contact points' are holding up OK! It's great to be back in the Scottish hills in the sunshine. Tomorrow looks good, but it looks like a good soaking for me on Sunday. Or not, if my run of luck continues.

Stats for the day : 66.7 miles at 9.5 mph avg (Glasgow traverse and a lot of offroad); 7hrs 01min pumping pedals; 952m ascent

No comments:

Post a Comment