Monday 20 June 2011

Day 7, Westhoughton to Barbon

Well, the Mercury didn't serve breakfast 'til 09:00 so that was not an option. I set the alarm for sunrise and, after a room meal of humus wrap and a yoghurt, I hit the road at 05:45 happy to leave this part of the Midlands behind me. This was to ensure I completed the 10 miles to Chorley on the A6 well before rush hour. This put me on to the back lanes by 06.30 and what a pleasure it is cycling at that time of the morning. It was fine and windless and quiet.

Trouble is, nowhere is open at that time and I had over 3 hours cycling done before I could stop for breakfast at a sandwich bar in Whalley. A full traditional, a mug of coffee and insurance pork pie (yes, again, Steve) all for £6, eaten outside in the sun. Feeling rather stuffed, I continued, circling Clitheroe, then started the big climbs across the Forest of Bowland to Slaidburn, then up again for a loooong way until plunging down into Bentham

Here I met up with Anne for a lunch stop and a much appreciated resupply drop.

Then it was off again on my own for the final miles to Barbon just north of Kirby Lonsdale. The weather has stayed remarkably fine, plenty of sun, not too warm, and no wind or rain. Too good to last.

The really good news is that Joe was discharged today as his heart flutter has normalised, so he and Maeve reverted to the original plan of staying here at the B&B. We had a great meal at the local pub to celebrate. He's under doctor's orders not to continue with LEJOG, but it's good to see him back to his cheery self. The photo is proof positive that he's feeling a lot better and has his appetite back!! They'll be heading home tomorrow.

Meanwhile I'll continue heading north, not quite so early this time.

Stats for the day: 68.9 miles at 9.5 mph avg (the hills!); 7hrs 13mins saddle-time; 1613m ascent

No comments:

Post a Comment