Sunday 19 June 2011

Day 6, part 2, Nantwich to Westhoughton

Once Maeve had arrived at Sainsbury from her drive from Wales, we loaded Joe's bike into the car and she departed to see Joe at the same time as I departed to complete the final 44 miles to Westhoughton. Happily it was a level, steady run and fairly quiet, being a Sunday evening. The clouds were left behind and the sun came out.

The only notable event was the first physical assault of the trip. As a car load of youths passed me on the Manchester Ship Canal bridge, I received a double slap on the bum! I'll generously put it down to horse-play, but it was quite a shock and left a sour taste! Just as well they weren't wielding a knife!

Soon after I passed through Leigh on the Bollton/Wigan interface. What a grim place (like Shirley but much more extensive, Em). I felt uneasy passing through. English folk who have preconceptions of Glasgow should check out this part of the world ... I know where I'd feel more comfortable!

I arrived at the Mercury Hotel at 20:00 with a bit of a shock. It is dire from the outside (looks like a load of outbuildings attached to a garage - like Stracathro, only worse) but the folk here could not be more helpful, and once inside, the room was clean, basic and comfortable. The manager is even a biker! So I can't complain at all. It has a bar, though the karaoke persuaded me back to the room early! Happily I stocked up with food at Sainsbury so, as you can see, had a gourmet pasta salad on 'room service'.

The 'hotel' is on the A6 to Chorley so it will be an 05:00 alarm tomorrow ao that I can get the 15 miles done before rush-hour, then on to the back roads towards Clitheroe. (if you're around, Steve & Lynda, I'll drop by briefly ... If not, then we'll catch up later).

Right time for an early night. Joe's probably getting one too as he's wired for sound in the cardiac ward of Leighton Hospital, Crewe, in good hands and and in good spirits. I miss you, Joe! Just think of all those bags of flapjacks, bananas, & energy bars that Maeve can now give you!

Day's stats: 61.6 miles at 12.1mph avg; 5hrs 4mins saddle-time; a paltry 398m ascent

No comments:

Post a Comment