Sunday 26 June 2011

Day 13, Slochd to Lairg

Blog Day 13

Slochd to Lairg

The advantage of staying in a hostel is that you are not restricted on breakfast times so can get up early. Only problem is that you have to creep around in semi-darkness because of others in the dorm. That done, a hearty non-fried breakfast ensued from provisions out of Anne's red-cross-parcel. Then, of course, you have to clear up - a disadvantage of hostel living. Being early, the shed wasn't open so I had to warily ring Ian, the host, but got a friendly reception, happily. Swiftly changing into waterproofs before leaving, on account of the threatening clouds, I loaded up and sped off thinking what a brilliant place this was.

I completed the climb to Slochd Summit then plummeted down the other side. At Tomatin I was hortified to notice that I'd left both drink bottles on the hostel step, but with a long day ahead, bad weather brewing, and the prospect of reclimbing Slochd, I decided to leave them and continue. This was with some anxiety as it was a Sunday and I may not be able to find bottled water. 8 miles down the road I was overtaken by a wee 4x4 with man waving a bottle. It was Ian who had spotted the bottles and chased me down! What a star!! A service well beyond the call of duty; I was terribly grateful. Thank you Ian.

Not long afterwards as I approached Moy the rain came on, slowly at first, then the heavens opened! The approach to Inverness, crossing the city, passing over the Bridge, and riding up the Beauly Firth was all a blur literally. It absolutely bucketed down and only eased off as I reached Conon Bridge. My run of good weather-luck had truly ended. Feet squelched, eyes stung as 2 weeks of accumulated sweat-salt leached out of the helmet padding and ran down, and all thoughts were focussed on pedalling hard to cover some miles and to keep warm. A bus shelter past Conon Bridge was my morning snack stop, and a gateway near Evanton was my lunch venue.

Slowly the weather improved as I climbed up after Alness, the sun actually came out briefly and it warmed up by mid-afternoon.

By the time I reached the Falls of Shin the rain started again. I passed Carbisdale Castle and crossed the river via the railway bridge viaduct (see picture) before riding the final few miles to Lairg where I was welcomed, dripping wet, at the B&B with a cuppa and toast and syrup!

Everything is now dry and it should stay so tomorrow so long as I get to Thurso by 18:00 (according to Met Office). There's motivation for you!

An early night is called for ... I've been really needing the alarm clock the past two mornings!

Stats for the day : 79.0 miles at 11.6mph avg; 6hrs 47mins in the saddle; 877m ascent.

No comments:

Post a Comment