Friday 24 June 2011

Day 11, Callander to Blair Atholl

It didn't rain all night and it didn't rain at all today, so hooray for Scottish weather! Sunshine and clouds with favourable tailwinds was the theme, but it remained cool in temperature. I don't think my arms will see the sun this trip!

I left Callander at 08:55 and hit the NCN7 again which took me by traffic free track and some country lanes to Killin. A tea and bacon butty stop at the burger van just before the descent into Killin was a life-saver, and I took the time to oil the chain in the sun. The NCN7 is a brilliant ride, well recommended, especially the scenic stretch above Lochearnhead (see picture).

The descent from the burger van was great and just clips the southern end of Killin before routing you along the switchback lane that runs the length on the south side of Loch Tay. A great ride and virtually no traffic.

I tried for a lunch at the new poncey bar/restaurant by the bridge at Kenmore and fell about laughing at the price of a sandwich, turned on my heal and departed. I had a much more reasonable toastie at The House Of Menzies near Weem ( and ate most of my 'insurance' pork pie bought yesterday in Aberfoyle).

Cracking on, I soon joined the route we followed on the Etape Caledonia and got to Pitlochry at 16:20. This was a good thing as I was under strict instructions to get Anne some Smartwool arm warmers from the bike shop there. I also got my tyres pumped up for free!

5 miles to go and I arrived at the Ptarmigan Guest House in Blair Atholl at 17:20. After a shower and kit-wash, a stroll to the Atholl Arms was in order. Haggis, neeps and tatties followed by sticky toffee pudding, washed down with a couple of pints of Braveheart completed the calorie balance for the day. Well, I'd earned it hadn't I?

Tonight is the most expensive (but far from the best) B&B so far this trip, but tomorrow will be the cheapest. Watch this space to find out where...

Stats for the day : 70.9 miles at 10.8 mph avg; 6hrs 34 mins in the saddle; 1056m ascent

No comments:

Post a Comment